Pages

About Me

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

DIY Coffee Cup Ornament Tutorial

Recently I was at a Peet's Coffee store and saw some absolutely adorable little ceramic coffee cup ornaments, similar to the ones that Starbucks sells every year. I work for a Peet's Coffee and I think that their coffee is delicious, so with this and my crafty Christmas side in mind (why pay for something you can make yourself!) I knew I had to figure out how to make a similar ornament.

This was my finished product!




And here's how I did it:

1. Start with an aluminum foil base, to help support the body.


2. Roll out enough clay to wrap around it and 
wrap around the foil body, smoothing as you go.


3. For the top, make a circle slightly bigger than the top of the body.


4. And another circle slightly smaller than that.


5. Smooth them together and make a little indent in the top (where you would drink from)


6. Mold onto the body, smoothing as you go.


7. Stick a little wire loop (I used a piece of a paperclip) in the unbaked clay.


8. Bake, cool and then paint away!

My modeling clay said to bake at 275* for 15 minutes per 1/4 inch. 
These cups took about 10 minutes to be finished. 


You can obviously paint however you wish, be it Starbucks' red cups, Peet's cups, 
or some obscure little coffee shop that we've probably never heard of. ;)

-Rachel 


1 comment: