Pages

About Me

Monday, February 6, 2012

Egg Drop Soup Recipe

My mom and I have been making this for years. I have no idea where she got the recipe from, but I've made it so many times that I know it by heart.

It's strange, I bake so much but I still have yet to memorize a chocolate chip cookie recipe. I actually use a different one every time although I have no idea why. I just recently figured out how to make my all time favorite CCC though, so I've been working on memorizing that one.

Anyway, this egg drop soup is nothing like the type you order in an asian restaurant. I tried that one time and was massively disappointed because I was expecting my mom's soup. I like that type now, but for a picky kid, it was a rude awakening. :)


Here's what you need:

4 cups of water
2 chicken bullion cubes
1/2 - 3/4 cups instant brown rice

3 eggs
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup fresh spinach 

1. Boil water and bullion cubes together
2. Add rice to boiling water
3. Reduce to a simmer (very important)

4. In a separate bowl crack three eggs and mix with lemon juice.
5. Slowly pour about 1 cup of chicken broth into the egg-lemon juice mixture while stirring.
This is called tempering. It slowly rises the temperature of the eggs and prevents them from cooking too fast and separating. 
If you prefer the type of egg drop soup you find in restaurants, where the cooked egg swims in a clear fluid, simply dump the egg and lemon juice mixture straight into the hot broth.

6. Slowly pour the tempered egg mixture into the simmering broth, while stirring.
You will find your self with a milky broth with some large cooked egg strands.

7. Add spinach, turn up to a low boil, cover, 
and let it sit for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally. 
It will start looking kind of foamy and fluffy on the top, this is a good thing.

8. After ten minutes, test the rice to make sure it is cooked. 

9. Enjoy!

Rachel 




No comments:

Post a Comment